Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Creek is Flooding

I missed it. I got home too late to see when the creek actually jumped the banks and flooded our lower property. Warren swears it happened and the puddles surrounding the fire pit are proof. But by the time I got home, the rained had slowed down for a couple hours and the water had already receded.

If you look really close at the first photo, you can see puddles of water on the ground this side of the fence. This is a rare event--has only happened a couple time in the 5 1/2 years we've lived here. I think our part of town had over 2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

I just shudder to think how much snow that could have been.

And wonder whose soccer ball that is trapped in the tree roots.


We're just happy we armored our stream banks with all the branches we cut down this winter after that horrible ice storm. Since I taught "The Armoring of Stream Banks" as a soil conservation technique in my high school Earth Science class, it seemed like the only thing to do with all those branches. Warren's peeks through the binoculars seems to show the bank on our side holding up rather well to the rushing water. When it dries out a bit, we'll go down there to check it out.

But right now, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put everyone this weekend, now that my daughter and her husband, my son, and my father have all decided to visit us for the weekend. What fun!

Oh, and my dear husband has volunteered to drive up to St. Paul to pick up my dad now that flying is no longer something he likes to do. How'd I ever get so lucky!

9 comments:

Kim said...

We had that kind of rain today as well. There was some flooding here in Oklahoma, but not us. The drainage ditches that run through the neighborhood were rushing and noisy. We're out just far enough that everyone here is on a clearwater system, so the sprinklers were going off like crazy all day. Even after the rain stopped, all you could hear after stepping outside was rushing water and sprinklers!

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful weekend. Is your daughter recovered from her recent surgery?

MJ Krech said...

Kaycie--Thanks for asking! Sarah is doing great. Much better this time round. We're all really thankful. I "love" that the sprinklers were going during your rainstorm! One of the incongruities of modern living, eh!?

Kim said...

I'm glad she's doing well. I thought that was pretty funny, too. We've just been here seven months, and that was the second time that's happened. Usually the sprinklers go off when we're in bed.

Kim said...

I saw some terrible flooding in Missouri today on the news. Are you guys dry?

MJ Krech said...

Yes. We're soggy, for sure, but it's sunny today so things will have a chance to dry out. We live in central Missouri. South east Missouri got the 10 inches in 24 hours. We had a bit over 2 inches and our creek jumped the bank! I shudder to think what 10 inches would have done!

laurie said...

HOLY moly. those are dramatic photos!

laurie said...

i hope everyone arrived safely for easter.

we've had steady snow, but a lot of it is melting on the roads. (more new snow this morning.)

Heather said...

That waters are receding here in St. Louis. We have a creek that runs through our neighborhood, but I don't think it flooded.

MJ Krech said...

Laurie--yes, all is well! Warren felt like he hadn't lost his "northern" edge! They made it back just fine! Dad is enjoying the spring weather. We're hoping the crocuses bloom while he's here. Pushing 70 degrees today! Cold and rainy the end of the week. Boomerang weather...

Heather--you must finally be feeling better! Yay! Glad to have you visit. Stop by again sometime!